Logo Position





Permits, Licenses, Certificates

logo facebook


Filter FAQs by Category

Search FAQs

Permits Licenses Certificates

The State Board of Building Regulations and Standards have a table of activities requiring (or not requiring)

a construction supervisor (CSL) license and/or a Home Improvement Contractor Registration and building permit. You can click HERE to see that table.

If you are doing work that opens or alters walls in all probability you will be required to apply for a permit.

Additionally, construction of sheds, fences, decks, pools all require permits.

No. Contractors such as builders, electricians, plumbers and gas fitters are licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

You can click HERE to check on any licenses.

If you are a licensed contractor or the owner of one or two family home that you occupy, you are eligible to apply for your own permit.

Homeowners are cautioned however, if they have been requested to obtain the permit by their contractor they may wish to contact this office to discuss the full ramifications of this.

You can search the state list of licensed construction, repair & maintenance companies by clicking HERE.

The City Clerk's Office is a license agent for the purchase of hunting and fishing licenses. 


All licenses are now issued from an on-line system, through the website address   We accept only cash or checks for purchases of licenses in our office.  In addition to freshwater fishing licenses, you may also purchase saltwater fishing licenses.

You should file a business certificate (aka "doing business as" or d/b/a) if you have a business which is being conducted under a name other than your own personal name. This certificate is filed in the City Clerk's Office.  The cost is $40.00 and the certificate is good for 4 years.  


The Building Inspector must sign-off on the certificate before it can be filed.  All business owners should be present to sign the certificate.  Please bring ID as the document is notarized (or you may have the certificate notarized by another notary and then file the completed certificate). Please be aware that the business certificate IS NOT a license and does not supercede other city requirements (zoning, building, health, etc.) which may be required.

You should allow at least one week for your permit.

The more involved your job, the longer you should consider for review.

You will be called when the permit has been approved and prepared and is available to be picked up at the Building Department office at 50 Payson Avenue.

You can license your dog in the City Clerk's Office at 50 Payson Avenue.  Please bring in an up-to-date rabies certificate from your veterinarian (not just the tag).


If your pet is altered, please bring proof of spaying or neutering. The cost for an unspayed or unneutered dog is $15.00; a spayed or neutered dog is $10.00.  Licenses must be renewed each year—the license year runs from April 1st to March 31st.


If you would like your dog's license mailed, please send payment, proof of rabies vaccination and a self-addressed stamped envelope to:  City Clerk, 50 Payson Ave., Easthampton, MA  01027.


Main Phone Number 413-529-1400
Municipal Building 50 Payson Avenue, Easthampton, MA 01027