Click the picture to submit questions, comments, or concerns. Please note, if you require an immediate response for a non-emergency, call the Police Department at 413-527-1212. For an emergency, please call 9-1-1.
Effective April 1, 2020 April 13, 2020 (revised 3/30/20)
As a result of road work taking place, Ferry Street (from Emerald Place to the Manhan Rail Trail crossing) will be closed to vehicular traffic beginning April 13, 2020. The road is anticipated to be closed for approximately six months. A detour will be in place to redirect regular traffic and along with a separate truck route.
Motorists will be advised to expect delays, occasional lane closures on Lovefield, and to avoid the intersection of Pleasant Street, O’Neill Street, and Ferry Street. The contractor will begin placing detours signs at specific intersections over the next few weeks.
The attached Ferry Street Detour Map shows both the passenger car detour routes and the truck detour routes. Motorists will be advised to seek alternate routes.
The work is funded by a $3.5 million MassWorks grant to improve public infrastructure in support of the redevelopment of the Ferry Street Mills. The improvements include the construction of a mini roundabout at the intersection of Lovefield, Pleasant and Ferry Streets, moving overhead wires underground on Ferry Street along Lower Mill Pond, the construction of a pedestrian walkway on Ferry Street along Lower Mill Pond, sidewalk and water, sewer and drainage improvements, upgraded Manhan Rail Trail crossing, new pavement and new traffic control measures.
The Manhan Rail Trail will remain open during construction activities. Users of the rail trail are reminded to obey traffic signs, stop at all intersections and use caution when crossing Ferry Street. Millside Park will remain open with access from Ferry Street maintained during the road closure and construction.
News and UpdatesMarch 10, 2020
This page was created on March 10, 2020 to correspond with a press release and detour map. This site is intended to be a place for residents, business owners, and others to find and follow information about the road project.
Click here to view and/or print the press release.
Click here to view and/or print the detour map.March 30, 2020
Due to concerns related to COVID-19, the detour will now take effect on Monday, April 13, 2020.
The following general construction schedule is expected:
Week of March 30-April 3
- Detour signs will be installed at numerous locations around the City - and will be covered.
- The City's contractor will begin mobilization including bringing in heavy equipment, vehicles, materials, and security fencing and similar preparation activities.
Week of April 6-April 10
- A construction fence will be installed adjacent to the bike path and trees will be removed.
- The City's contractor will begin work on the demolition of an existing retaining wall between the Manhan Rail Trail and the 1 Ferry Street property.
Week of April 13-April 17 -
- Ferry Street will be closed to all vehicular traffic for a period of at least 6 months. Motorists are advised to find alternative routes.
- Vehicle traffic over Pleasant Street and Lovefield will be subject to one-lane travel - expect delays.
- The City's contractor will begin work on Ferry Street installing underground utilities.