Is a Section 35 the only option?

No, there are other options. Many outpatient substance abuse treatment programs and private counselors conduct formal interventions. It is important to work with a professional who can help you decide if this process is appropriate for your family or client.

  • To plan an intervention, family and friends should meet with a trained counselor who will help them to:
  • Express concerns about their loved one's substance use
  • Identify the person's resistance to stop using substances
  • Decide what they can and cannot do
  • Accept the outcome if the person refuses to accept treatment

Bottom Lines

Set your bottom line, examples of bottom lines can be:

  • Not lending the individual any more money.
  • Not allowing her/him to drink in your home
  • The possibility of petitioning for a Section 35 commitment as part of the bottom line

Program Referrals

We know that people important to the individual abusing substances can have a tremendous impact both positively and negatively on a person's denial of their substance abuse problem.

Individuals who are requesting treatment on their own should be considered for referral to public programs that can provide treatment on a voluntary basis, rather than be referred to a Section 35 petition process.

Show All Answers

1. Is a Section 35 the only option?
2. How do I get someone committed to treatment under Section 35?
3. What happens once a petition is filed with the court?
4. How will the court decide what to do?
5. What happens next if the court orders her/him to be committed?
6. What kind of help will an individual receive?
7. What if she/he is too sick to go to a detoxification program?
8. What if they have a co-occurring mental health problem?
9. How long will the commitment be for?
10. Will a Section 35 commitment cure her/his alcohol or drug problem?
11. Can I go back to court if she/he drinks or uses other drugs again?