Union Street - 2021/2022 TIP Infrastructure Project
July 26, 2022 - Press Release
City Council Order of Taking information (uploaded December 29, 2021)
City Council cover letter, dated December 29, 2021 - Includes: Resolution, Order of Taking, Exhibit A and draft vote language
Final Draft Right of Way Plans - Shows full plans showing size and location of all temporary and permanent easements (this plan is the basis for the Order of Taking)
Final Draft Design Plans - Shows all elements to be included in the new road including sidewalks, crosswalks, on street parking, and other elements - see pages 17-20 for concise overview of the Union Street improvements.
Offer of Fair Compensation letters - Dated December 9, 2021, to all property owners (NOTE: this is a 315 page document which includes cover letter, Just Compensation Report, Plan excerpt and Federal Aid Acquisition Guide.
Certificate of Donation letters - Dated December 6, 2021, to 9 property owners who agreed to donate easements.
General Union Street TIP project information
This is information about the upcoming Union Street Infrastructure Improvement project. As of July 2021 the project is tentatively set to begin construction in spring 2022. This multi-million dollar project consists of 1,870 feet of Union Street. The project begins at the intersection of High Street (near Big E's) and includes improvements to the signalized intersection at Cottage Street, Williston Avenue, and Payson Avenue.
The project includes but is not limited to:
- Replacement of underground water, sewer and gas utilities
- Full reconstruction of the roadway from Big E's to the intersection at Cottage Street and Williston Ave
- All new ADA compliant sidewalks, crosswalks, curbs, and streetscaping
- On-road bike accommodations including sections of bike lanes and sharrrows
- An upgraded raised crossing for the Manhan Rail Trail including improved alignment with Union Street
- New crosswalk from Riverside Industries to the Nashawanuck Pond Promenade
The 100% design plans are currently under review by MassDOT. Additional information about the construction timeline, sequencing, duration, and associated information will be released in the winter once a contractor is selected.