Local Boards of Health have a crucial role in the prevention and control of communicable diseases in the community. The Public Health Nurse provides clinical evaluation, case management, epidemiology, and health education, skills essential in helping to protect the health of Easthampton.
The Public Health Nurse's responsibilities are based on laws, regulations and best practice.
These responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Communicable disease investigation, surveillance and control
- Oversees the Tuberculosis Program
- Provide means for vaccinations directed by the immunization schedule and guidelines
- Organize and conduct immunization clinics for influenza
- Provide education and consultation to individuals, health care providers, and other agencies
- Participate in Emergency Preparedness planning
The Public Health Nurse's work focuses on the health of the entire population of the Easthampton community rather than services to individuals.