City Clerk & Elections
The office houses the city's vital statistics (birth, death and marriages). You may apply for a marriage license in the clerk's office. Other commonly issued items include: dog licenses, tag sale permits, business certificates, raffle and bazaar permits, and hunting and fishing licenses.
The City Clerk's office also administers all elections in the City of Easthampton. For election information, please see the election subsection of this page.
Some frequently asked questions:
- Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates and Tag Sale Permits: In addition to in-person pickup, you may pay through this website online. You may also mail in a request (see below for forms) or drop off your request and payment in the drop box.
- Business Certificates: Complete the business certificate and addendum forms, or you may pick up the form in the City Clerk's Office. Completed forms can be mailed, dropped off in person at the City Clerk's Office or put in the drop box. The fee is $40.00. Please bring, or include, a copy of your ID. After review by the Building or Planning Department, your certificate will be mailed to you.
- Dog Licenses: In addition to in-person pick-up of licenses, you can mail or drop off your request in the drop box at 50 Payson Avenue. Please include a letter sized, stamped and self-addressed envelope so we can mail your dog's license to you. Please include the dog license form so we have all the information for the license.
- Hunting and Fishing Licenses: We are a Massachusetts Hunting & Fishing license agent for cash or check purchases only. To pay by credit card, you can purchase your license on-line.
- Marriage Intentions: You and your partner may apply for your marriage license in person in the City Clerk's Office (you must apply together). Marriage licenses are valid for 60 days. There is a 3-day waiting period from the date of application to pickup of the license. The cost is $40.00.
- Raffle & Bazaar Permits: The City Clerk's office issues these permits to qualified non-profit organizations only. The cost is $10.00 and permits are valid for a one-year period. Permits must be obtained in the community where the raffle is being held. Forms may be picked up in the City Clerk's office. Please review the state Raffle and Bazaar information to see if your organization is eligible to hold a raffle. Please note that individuals and for-profit organizations are NOT eligible to hold a raffle (even if the proceeds are being donated to a non-profit organization).
Certified copies of birth, marriage or death records are $10 each. Requests can be made in person, through the mail or make a request online. If requesting through the mail, you may send a letter, or use one of the following forms:
- Birth Certificate Request Form (PDF)
- Death Certificate Request Form (PDF)
- Marriage Certificate Request Form (PDF)
Genealogy researchers are welcome during regular office hours. Especially if you are coming a distance, please feel free to contact the office by email or phone ahead of time to confirm office hours and record availability.
Annual City Census
The City Clerk's office, in accordance with state law, also administers the annual city census. The census is mailed each year in early January. Please return your form as soon as possible so that your address and voter status are kept up to date. Street lists are available for purchase -- 2021 books are $20.00 and 2020 books are $10.00.
Clerk to the Council
The City Clerk serves as clerk to the City Council and the office maintains all City Council and past Town Meeting records. Easthampton changed from a town to a city form of government on April 1, 1996.
The Easthampton City Clerk's Office is where you'll find:
- Burial Agent
- Business certificates:
- Census information
- Check your voter status
- Dog licenses
- Hunting and fishing licenses
- Local Vital Statistics
- Manhan Rail Trail information
- Marriage licenses
- Notary Public
- Raffle and Bazaar information
- Register to vote online
- Street listings
- Tag sale permits (see above for tag sale permit application)
- Town meeting and city council records
- Voter registration and election information
- Voter registration form
- Where do I vote?